Christ Episcopal Church - c. 1886
Representative of the small Gothic Revival board-and-batten churches built across America during the mid to late nineteenth century. Still very active today, the congregation members enjoy sharing the history of this beautiful and unique house of worship.
Davis Chapel - c. 1922
Began as a place of worship on the James Davis Plantation soon after the Davis family settled on the Dan River in the 1700's. The original building burned in 1922, but was immediately rebuilt by the old plan.
Germanton Fresco & Methodist Church - c. 1856
"The Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes", a 64 square foot Fresco (a fine art painting executed into plaster using a centuries old technique) by artist Gerald Steinmeyer in 1990 graces the altar of this small ca. 1856 church building.
King Drug Company - 1926
This building was constructed in 1926 as a joint drugstore and doctors' office. Still in operation, and you can enjoy lunch at the soda fountain.
King Milling Company - 1920
Built in the early 1920's, and remains in operation today, producing flour, cornmeal, and animal feed.
King Moravian Church - 1925
King Moravian Church building makes obvious reference to Home Moravian Church in Old Salem. The church features round-arched doors and windows, round-arched door hoods, tiny gable windows, and a small belfry atop the steeply-pitched gable roof.
King's Cabin - 1775
A reconstruction of the original log cabin kitchen built by the first settler to King, John Jacob Spainhour. His descendants still live in the community.
Moody Tavern - c. 1860
The two-story frame building was the headquarters for General Stoneman's troops in 1865.
Moratock Iron Furnace - c. 1843
One of the best preserved structures remaining from the antebellum period in North Carolina. Stokes County was one of many piedmont counties that contained iron ore deposits. The Moratock was used to produce usable bar iron and currently measures approximately 28 feet square at the base and is constructed of rough-quarried granite blocks.
Stokes County Courthouse - c. 1904
The Old Stokes County Courthouse is one of several similar courthouses featuring porticoes and mansard cupolas.
Stokes County Jail - c. 1904
The former Stokes County jail is a two-story brick structure featuring segmentally arched doors and windows, a corbelled cornice, and a slightly projecting corner tower with a pyramidal roof.
The Rock House - c. 1780's
One of the oldest structures still standing in Stokes County. During the war years the Rock House was used as a fort against the Indians and Tories as well as the headquarters and a rallying point for the militia.
Vade Mecum Hotel
One of three late 19th- and early 20th-c mineral springs resorts operated in Sauratown Mountains. The big draw for the hotel was the healing water at the mineral springs. Today Camp Sertoma is operated on the property.
Walnut Cove Colored School - c. 1921
A 1-story, 5-classroom frame school building with clipped gable front. . It is Stokes County's only school built with assistance of the Julius Rosenwald Fund, founded by Sears executive Julius Rosenwald to aid African American schools in the South.
Wilson-Fulton Museum of Stokes History - c. 1860
Wilson Fulton, born in 1819, built this large house in Danbury around 1855. The house is still often referred to as simply the “Brick House.”